Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blaster Break - 2012 Topps Archives

I haven't been very active in the blogosphere or on Twitter lately so I didn't even realize that 2012 Topps Archives started appearing at retail establishments over the weekend.

When I did find out this afternoon, I ran straight over to Target. They didn't have any.

My next stop was Wal-Mart. This is the same Wal-Mart that had come through for me when Topps Series One was released earlier this year so I was hopeful. They didn't let me down. I picked up two blasters.

After opening them, I kind of have mixed feelings about this set. I remember when the "Archives" brand was meant solely for retired players so that's strike one in my book. We've seen a lot of these designs recently in the various Heritage sets. Strike two.

Instead of striking out, this set hits a bloop single in my book. It's just okay. I had fun opening it and getting the various inserts like the stickers and rainbow foils but nothing knocked my socks off. Sorry I can't come up with a better term than that right now.

Below is some of what I got. A few D-Backs, a few of my favorite legends like Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn, and a few of my favorite current guys like Josh Hamilton and Mark Reynolds.
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. At least your Wal-Mart has them. They have yet to hit teh shelves in the two WM's that I pass on my way to work... I'll keep searching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought 3 hobby packs today and was pretty disappointed with what I got. I pulled a rainbow foil version of Miguel Montero if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Frank! Thanks. I'll email you.

    moe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moe- I think I see Anibal Sanchez hiding in photo #2. If you don't want him, I will take him off your hands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's yours. I'll see if I have any other Marlins too.

      moe.

      Delete