Friday, December 14, 2012

2000 Topps Tek - Josh Hamilton

I've mentioned a few times on here that Josh Hamilton is one of my favorite players. I've been fortunate to meet him a few times and get his autograph. The first time was back in 2001 when he was playing in the Arizona Fall League.

He signed this 2000 Topps Tek card for me. It's pattern 38-5 in case you're curious.

He didn't play much if at all during the Fall League that year and he was sent home after about 2 weeks. I saw him two or three times before he left and each time he always took time before the game to sign autographs for everyone. I even saw someone hand him about a dozen baseball cards. He signed them all and then asked the guy if he had anymore. That was enough to make me a fan.

Over the next few years I followed his struggles. Doing the occasional Google search to see if anything new was going on. There was nothing bad news until the Cubs picked him up in the Rule 5 draft. I remember my Dad and I watched on TV as he made his MLB debut with the Reds. It was Opening Day 2007. According to Wikipedia, he was given a 22 second standing ovation. During that quarter of a minute I got chills and was very proud of a guy I didn't even know but felt some type of connection with.

Yesterday, Josh reportedly signed a HUGE contract with the Los Angeles Angels. Once again, I'm happy for him and wish him the best of luck with the Halos.

No comments:

Post a Comment