Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Award Winners: Bobby Richardson

During his career with the New York Yankees, Bobby Richardson played in seven World Series. The Gold Glove secondbaseman, helped lead his team to three championships however his most remarkable post season play came in a losing effort. During the 1960 World Series, Bobby had an average of .367 with a grand slam and 12 RBIs. This was good enough to win him the honor of World Series MVP. Unfortunately for Yankee fans, despite being dramatically outscored over the seven games, Bill Mazeroski and the Pirates prevailed. Nearly fifty years later, Bobby is still the only player from a losing team to be selected as World Series MVP.

Bobby graciously signed the card below for me last week. Great return from a Yankee legend!

Bobby Richardson - 1960 WS MVP

1 comment:

  1. I got him to sign TTM a few months ago. He sure has a crisp looking signature.

    On a side note, I'm going to a Royals game on Monday. I plan on getting there around noon for a night game so I can get a ton of autographs. Hopefully, I will be able to snag you a couple.

    ReplyDelete