Monday, August 13, 2012

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Many of the schools in my area are back in session today. I remember ever popular "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" assignment teachers would give out on the first day. I thought today would be a good day to talk about my family's recent trip to Chicago.

The first week of July, we set off for the Windy City. My wife and son had never been there so we had a few ideas of things we wanted to do. However, the only two solid items on our itinerary was a Sox game and a Cubs game.

We went to see the White Sox on July 5th. It was to be my first time at U.S. Cellular Field so I was excited.


The Midwest has been having an extremely warm summer and this day was no exception. The temperature that day was over 100 degrees and it was pretty miserable outside.


We toughed it out and made it through the entire game. Of course we spent a great deal of time in the outfield over by the Luis Aparicio statue taking tons of pictures.


The White Sox beat the Rangers and everyone had a pretty good time.

On July 13th, we made our way to Wrigley Field decked out in D-Backs gear to see the Cubs play the Diamondbacks. Awesome, right?


It should have been except for right at game time, it started to rain.



Our seats were in the lower section but just far enough back so that the upper deck blocked most of the rain. That was great until the wind started up and everyone who stayed in their seats got soaked. We all sought cover on the concourse. With 40,000 wet people huddled in the small area, I felt like we were on the Titanic.


Four hours later when the game finally started, the Cubs beat the Diamondbacks.

The weather definitely wasn't on our side either of those days. It gave me a greater appreciation for Chase Field's air conditioning and retractable roof.

I'm happy that my son gets to cross two more stadiums off his list of one's that he's been to. He's four years old and his grand total is up to four. Not a bad start for a little dude.

That's how I spent my summer vacation.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip, too bad that the weather was not more accommodating...

    And yes, these newer enclosed ballparks are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rainbow of Lueeeees. The park pics are a great tribute as well.

    ReplyDelete